The purpose of this technical document provide specialized information about how to configure NIC (Network Interface Card) Teaming in Microsoft Windows Server 2012.
All the steps are described with images and the commands. This is working 100% per-fectly.
All the configuration are done by manually and steps are mentioned clearly, In here I already installed Windows Server 2012 fresh copy. So I am going to show you how to setup NIC teaming for our server with the necessary screen shots and configuration details.
In Windows Server 2012 has integrated fault tolerance ability in default, under this the NIC teaming is a most important to preventing network failures.
The video tutorial also available @
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZdis94_PPw
NIC teaming is a new feature in Microsoft windows server 2012. That is a solution for increase the net-work availability and the performance on the network. So the business continuity is high. Because the all Network Interfaces Cards are acted as a single NIC that’s called “NIC teaming”. In Windows Server 2012 has some grater options with this NIC teaming and also it is a hardware independent.
1. When there is a network failure for a particular NIC interface, that can be han-dled by moving network traffic to the remaining NICs.
2. Another one is the network throughput high because the entire bandwidth is combined with each other.
The image was captured by internet resource
In Microsoft Windows Server 2012 there are two ways to enhance the network availability and the network performance. The first one is host with all interfaces are connected to the same switch this is called “switch depended mode” and another one is host with interfaces are con-nected to different switches this is called “switch independent mode”. In here those two types which can be easily separated like given below.
1. Switch Independent Mode: In here Switch Independent Mode has two types of configurations which are active/active mode and active/standby mode. In active/active mode comprise all the NICs are actively running and all the traffic are going through all the NICs until network failure is occurred, so the Network throughput is high. If there is any network failure, the specific traffic is shunted to the remaining ports. Another mode is active/standby mode has some standby NICs, so in network failure, it does have same performance as user felt before the failure. Because no performance reduction.
2. Switch Dependant Mode: In Switch dependant mode all the NICs are connected to the same net-work switch by providing a single interface. Static teaming is a option which is used to balance the traffic between the adapters. In this mode ahs two types of configurations, those are Static Teaming & Dynamic Teaming.
These are the steps to configure NIC teaming in Windows Server 2012
1. Log on to the Windows Server 2012 with an Administrative privileges. And open the Server manager and click on the Local server in the left pane in the server manager.
2. After loaded the local server page click on the disable link which located near to the NIC teaming under properties. Then you will see the below NIC teaming page. In there you will see the available servers, teams and adopters and interfaces.
3. Go to the task tab and click on New Team, then you will be appeared net NIC teaming page and the available NICs under member adopters.
4. Then open the additional properties and set the teaming mode, load balancing mode and standby adapter. Teaming Mode, which contains Static Mode, switch Independent Mode and LACP. In load balancing mode, there are two options Address hash and Hyper-V port. Under standby adapter you have to select which NIC you are going to set as standby port.
5. After adding those all configuration for NIC teaming, the NIC teaming page is up dated according to your configuration as the image given above. And if there is any failure, standby NIC will be active.