Hello all, today I am going to discuss about how to change FSMO roles in Microsoft Windows server environment. FSMO in the sense Flexible Single Master Operations. The video tutorial available @youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fymyyq9z_r8
Active Directory is the most important in Windows Server Environment because it does contain user details, user accounts, user groups, etc. Active Directory directly help to manage entire IT infrastructure in a Company.
When Active Directory role is changed between Master roles, there are five FSMO roles in Active Directory in Windows Server 2003 platform.
- Schema Roles : this role is responsible for changing, updates and modifications of the Domain Controller.
- Domain Naming Master : Controls to the chnges of the namespace, like addition or removal from the forest.
- Infrastructure Master : Responsible for updating references from objects.
- Relative ID(RID) : Processes RID pool request from all the Domain Controllers.
- PDC Emulator : Advertise itself as PDC to workstations.
Here are the clearly mentioned steps of FSMO role changing. Take a look.
- Log on to the Windows server 2003 as Administrator (adp.com\Administrator) and get run window and type cmd.
- Type regsvr32 schmmgmt.dll in cmd and press ENTER.
- The succeeded window will be appeared. Continue reading